After World War II, rebuilding of the city of Erfut (by this stage in East Germany) included the revitalisation of green space around the Cyriaksburg fort and its use for a series of horticulture and gardening exhibitions. The first, in Autumn 1945, focused on growing food as part of resilience and recovery from shortages in the immediate aftermath of the War.
Over time, the emphasis shifted to a wider range of horticulture; the whole area around Cyriaksburg was rebuilt in the late 1940s to create a more purpose built exhibition space. Larger scale horticultural exhibitions began in 1950 and, by 1961, the Gartenbauaustellung had grown to international scale, bringing together exhibits from across the socialist states of Eastern and Central Europe.
Over 3.5 million people visited the 1961 exhibition over a six month period.